Friday, November 13, 2009

Can I Avert a Cold?

I had a hint of a sore throat yesterday, and then I woke at 5am with a definite sore throat. So I got up and gargled with warm salt water and then used Lynn's concept of a jigger of lime juice last thing before lying down (I used fresh-squeezed lemon quarter with an orange quarter to make it go down), and I could feel the "medicinal quality" of that juice on my throat as I lay back down. Now in the late morning I still feel incipient cold, but a little hot tea (Earl Grey) with a small segment of a homemade biscotti a friend gave me, and taking it easy, plus some extra vitamins, may help. It would be great to find that I can forestall a full-blown cold through superior nutrition!

My food choices today are kind of based on what "sounds good" or therapeutic for the illness:

TODAY'S MENU

Breakfast--Smoothie of 1/2 red grapefruit, a banana, fresh kale, flax seed meal, and water and ice to blend. I think it's kind of "preppie"--pink and green! :-). Unfortunately, it wasn't enough calories, so a couple of hours later I had an apple and peanut butter.

Lunch--1/3 cup red chili from last night (includes about one ounce ground beef) with 1/2+ cup kidney beans over a big bowl of romaine, dressed with salsa, tomato, onion, bell pepper, and a tablespoon or so of lowfat plain yogurt

Supper--(A challenge because our cooktop is on the fritz!)--Baked sweet potato, green beans with several carrot coins, orange. Lots of orange things tonight!

At 8pm I still have a slightly scratchy throat, but I don't feel anything has gotten any worse today, and it's certainly better than when I awoke at 5am. We'll see!

1 comment:

  1. Well, it seems I couldn't avert it completely, as I have a tickly cough and had a sore throat in the wee hours of the morning. But hey, I'm probably doing better than if I weren't well nourished! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think of these or if you have suggestions for improvements!