Thursday, October 22, 2009

Green Smoothie Redux

Thanks to Natalie for the tip about using pineapple in a green smoothie!

PINEAPPLE-BANANA GREEN SMOOTHIE

1 frozen banana
1 large tangerine
8 or so canned pineapple chunks, with some of their juice
2 cups (one large handful) fresh spinach
1-2 tablespoons flax seed meal
water as needed to blend

Combine in blender and whirl. Makes two large glasses (I had both)

Verdict--Very good. I liked this combination.

ANCHOVY SPREAD

2 oz can anchovies in oil
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup minced onion
Balsamic vinegar to taste (I used about 2-3 tablespoons, I think)

Mash anchovies into a saucepan over low heat, then add other ingredients and simmer until onions are softened.

I spread a little onto one half of an Arnold's Sandwich Thin and baked it in the oven until crisp, to add a lot of pizzazz to my salad (below).

Verdict--Good. I have never before cooked with anchovies that I can remember, so this was an adventurous move. I think a little of this on cooked zucchini would be good.

TODAY'S MENU

Breakfast--PINEAPPLE-BANANA GREEN SMOOTHIE

Lunch--Leftover filling from STUFFED GARDEN VEGGIES tossed with 1-1/2 cups homegrown broccoli and a small zucchini, steamed; portion of a pear, red grapes

Snack--About a dozen raw almonds

Supper--Salad of mostly spinach with some romaine, topped with 1/2 cup navy beans (rinsed) tossed with onion, bell peppers, and tomato in lite raspberry vinaigrette dressing and garnished with bits of the ANCHOVY SPREAD toasted on an Arnold Sandwich Thin half; Tuscan melon

Confession: I didn't particularly enjoy my supper tonight. There are other issues getting me down at the moment, but another combo of greens and beans and vinegar just wasn't exciting to me. I think I'll thumb through the recipes in Eat for Health and see what I can come up with to inspire me. I already have a cauliflower curry planned . . .

1 comment:

  1. I was itchy at bedtime and wonder if it was too much spinach (high in histamines), the melon, or even the anchovies. Hmmm . . . I'm thankful for Benadryl!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think of these or if you have suggestions for improvements!