Wednesday, October 28, 2009

A Great Sandwich, and . . .

. . . an important interview regarding the efficacy of a plant-based diet in preventing and curing heart disease. I am thankful that even when I was twenty-something pounds heavier I had fairly decent "numbers" for blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugar, etc., and they improved to pretty much normal, if not optimal, the last time I had blood work done, a bit less than the weight I am now, a couple of years ago. But I know that in my late forties I am on the inevitable road toward difficulties in all these areas, especially if I stay overweight. I am glad to be working on it pretty aggressively and hope to be a poster child for Nutritarian concepts. :-)

In exploring links in that interview I found these recipes from Dr. Esselstyn, and I had the greens sandwich for lunch!

KALE/LEMON SANDWICHES, REVISED

I have a lot of spinach, so I substituted that for the kale, and my MOOSEWOOD HUMMUS (a bit left over still) does have tahini in it. See below for the ingredients I used.

Verdict--Excellent. I like the advice to toast the bread to real crispness, and I expect the spinach might be even better than kale on top. I squeezed it out well and chopped it to keep it all neater.

TODAY'S MENU

Breakfast--Leftover GREEN PEAR SMOOTHIE (from frozen solid it defrosted beautifully in the microwave on the setting for a pound of ground beef :-) ); half a banana with peanut butter and flax seed meal

Lunch--KALE/LEMON SANDWICH, REVISED (Arnold's Sandwich Thin, MOOSEWOOD HUMMUS, steamed fresh spinach to yield about 1/2 cup, several grape tomatoes, sliced red onion and pepper, cilantro frozen from our garden, lemon )

Snack--Small local apple

Supper--Butternut squash (about 1/2 cup) heated with a dozen raisins, a tablespoonful of roasted mixed nuts, and a dash of cinnamon. Wow, this is great! Leftover CAULIFLOWER CURRY (about 1/2-3/4 cup) with a few leftover peas and a little leftover RAITA SALAD; fruit salad (about a cup) that hubby made from Tuscan melon, canned pineapple, apple, banana, and kiwi. I love it when somebody else makes something! I put some flax seed meal on that.

Snack--Leftover oatmeal (about 3/4 cup) with blueberries and a few almond slivers. (I was pretty hungry about 8pm, but I could have gotten by with about half of what I had.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think of these or if you have suggestions for improvements!