Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Getting Started

To get this blog started, I want to share what I made today. My menu for the day follows at the bottom.

ITALIAN CASSOULET

2 cloves garlic, sliced
4 oz. mushrooms, quartered or sliced
1 can butter beans
3/4 cup cooked kale or other greens, chopped
1 tablespoon pesto*

Simmer the garlic and mushrooms in some of the liquid from the can of beans. When mushrooms are tender and garlic fragrant, stir in the pesto and distribute well, then add the butter beans and kale and simmer gently, being careful not to mash the beans, for just a few minutes to meld flavors.

Verdict? Excellent! The beans are satisfyingly starchy and "creamy," the mushrooms wonderfully tender, the kale nice and chewy, and the seasoning just right.

*My pesto is homemade--lots of basil, good quantity of pine nuts and garlic, moderate amount of oil, and a little parmesan.

CARROT SALAD

1 cup blanched broccoli florets
1 cup matchstick-cut raw carrots
1/4 cup canned pineapple tidbits with a bit of their juice
1 tablespoon or so raisins
sprinkle of cinnamon
optional: touch of mayonnaise or yogurt for creaminess (I used about two teaspoons of low-fat mayo just because I thought it wouldn't be good without it.)

Combine ingredients and refrigerate for at least an hour to meld flavors.

Verdict: Very good. As I had hoped, the pineapple plumped up the raisins and this was satisfyingly sweet and crunchy, too. I think I could have left out the bit of mayo I added to satisfy my compulsive self. (I packed this for lunch away from home and didn't want to be disappointed with it!)

TODAY'S MENU

Breakfast: oatmeal cooked in water with frozen peaches from our garden and a sprinkle of cinnamon and of nutmeg, with a few toasted pecans on top, mostly-decaf coffee with the bit of milk I can't give up yet

Lunch: CARROT SALAD, a bean soup in tomato base with other veggies I made last week (it does have a bit of roasted pork in it), orange

Snack: golden delicious apple and a few mixed nuts

Dinner: ITALIAN CASSOULET, salad of mesclun from our garden with tomato and two tablespoons of guacamole, red and green grapes

3 comments:

  1. I'm going to try the cassoulet! Looks like an easy weekday lunch. I need those recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting these! I have the hardest time accomplishing complicated stuff in my busy life. These are simple, yet on the plan. Here's one for you. ;-)


    Mexican Greatness

    inspired by the salad served at Chipotle.

    Greens to make a big base
    Beans from the can (black or kidney)
    Corn (can be heated)
    onions and peppers (optional)
    homemade guacamole or avacado.
    FF french dressing, or vinegrette
    salsa as dressing

    These are the basics, which are always changing according to leftovers, which dressings are in stock, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Christine! As you read through the blog you'll see a couple of things very much like your recipe. Bring 'em on! And you, too, Renee...you're the recipe queen!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think of these or if you have suggestions for improvements!