Thursday, October 15, 2009

Five Days In

Five days in to the nutritarian way of eating and I feel great. I am so nourished by the good things that I don't really want the bad things, and I'm talking about GOOD pizza (Vocelli's, for those who know), ice cream, sherbet, and M&Ms around last night! I'm enjoying all the flavors and choosing which of the many stockpiled produce items I'll have for each meal.

ZUCCHINI LUNCH BOWL

1 medium zucchini, diced
2-3 oz. mushrooms, chopped
1/2 cup homemade pasta sauce with lots of veggies built in (I don't remember how I made it, but it was healthy to begin with, perhaps a smidgen of olive oil) OR high-quality jarred sauce

Simmer the zucchini and mushrooms in a little water until tender but not mushy, drain. Stir in the pasta sauce and heat.

Verdict: Excellent! I really like the tender-chewy texture of the mushrooms, and if the original pasta sauce is well made, you've got a winner.

STRAWBERRY-BANANA SMOOTHIE

2 frozen bananas (I toss them in the freezer, peel and all, and then run under hot water to slide off the skins)
1 lb. frozen strawberries
1/4 honeydew melon
2 tablespoons flax seed meal

Drop all these items in the blender and add sufficient water to blend. I served six with this, though I took a larger serving than others. I added an additional 1/2 cup frozen elderberries I saved from jelly processing this summer. Elderberries have 10 grams of fiber per cup and a mild grape-y flavor in this form, when most of the juice has been squeezed out. They have to be cooked to counteract their toxicity, but I couldn't bear to throw them away. I've been enjoying adding them to smoothies!

Verdict: Very good. I hate to put "Excellent" on too many things!

MENU YESTERDAY

Breakfast--Green pepper and onion sauteed in a little oil (made this for the rest of the family, too), scrambled with two egg whites and a smidgen of yolk, chives to season with S&P; 1/2 slice whole wheat toast with a smear of homemade strawberry preserves. Always assume my usual mostly-decaf coffee with a little milk unless I announce I've given it up!

Snack--Honeydew melon

Lunch--Last of the CARROT SALAD; ZUCCHINI LUNCH BOWL

Snack--Golden delicious apple with peanut butter

Supper--Salad of spring greens and pepper with 1/3 cup tuna salad (made last week with light mayo) for a "dressing"; the last of the bean soup in tomato base with a bit of pork; orange

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think of these or if you have suggestions for improvements!