Thursday, October 22, 2009

Craving Curry


My plate was so pretty at supper I asked hubby Glenn to take a photo of it:



CAULIFLOWER CURRY

Use the link to see the recipe (cauliflower, tomatoes, red onion, coriander from our garden, cumin, hot green pepper, cilantro from a frozen paste made earlier this summer from our garden). I made it with just one tablespoon of oil and with part of an anaheim pepper instead of a jalapeno, and most of a small can of diced tomatoes and their juice. For the rest of the family I served rice and pork chops with this.

Verdict--Very Good. I prefer sweet curries, but this has a nice, clean flavor. Hubby thinks it could use more hot pepper.

RAITA SALAD

1 cucumber, partially peeled and sliced fairly thin
1/4 cup plain lowfat yogurt
1 teaspoon honey
several fresh mint leaves, snipped
dash of salt

Verdict--Very Good. I wanted something cool to go with that cauliflower!

MOOSEWOOD HUMMUS

I have the original of The New Moosewood Cookbook (Mollie Katzen's Classic Cooking), and the above link explains the procedure and ingredients for Mollie Katzen's recipe. I omitted the scallions, yogurt, and cumin, and I scanted on the tahini, but I doubled up on the garlic. I haven't had tahini in the house for a long time, so we got used to olive-oil hummus, which is good but different from this.

Verdict--Excellent. I really enjoyed this as a dip for baby-cut carrots. Very satisfying and rich.

TODAY'S MENU

Breakfast--Leftover steel-cut oats with apples, microwaved with a handful of frozen blueberries and a sprinkling of walnuts

Lunch--Leftover STUFFED GARDEN VEGGIES (I was thrilled to find these in the back of the fridge--one pepper and one zucchini boat, with the tomato sauce garnish!); giant pear

Snack--Small orange

Supper--CAULIFLOWER CURRY, RAITA SALAD, HUMMUS with carrots to dip in it, steamed green beans from our garden, small serving of sweet white wine

Supper turned into a feast tonight!

1 comment:

  1. I decided today (10/30) to do a nutrition analysis of 10/29 and today, to compare. According to Fitday.com, here's this day: 1550 calories, 45g. fat (25% of calories), 243g. carb (60g. fiber!!!), 61g. protein.

    I got a whopping 471% of the RDA of Vitamin C and 419% of manganese. I had close to or over 200% of Vitamins A and B6 and copper, phosphorus, and thiamin. Close to or over 100% of the RDA for calcium, iron, niacin, pantothenic acid, potassium, riboflavin, and (well) sodium, plus zinc. I had under 50% of the RDA of B12 (29%), Vitamins D and E, and selenium, but I take a multivitamin to cover those shortfalls.

    I was experimenting with some fun recipes, and I'd redo the hummus with less tahini for one.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think of these or if you have suggestions for improvements!