Thursday, August 2, 2012

A Refreshing Approach to Weight Loss

I have always appreciated the work of Arya Sharma and Yoni Freedhoff, two family physicians who really "get" the challenges of obesity management and educate the public through their blogs.  The Canadian Obesity Network, of which they are both members, has developed a great tool for physicians, and I wanted to note it here for my own reference as well as for others.


In particular, the "tool" of the 5As of Obesity Management recognizes the difference between ideal weight--what the charts call for--and "best weight"--what a person can sustain while still enjoying life.  The tool notes that 5%-10% weight reduction can make major differences in quality of life, shows the difference between classes and stages of obesity, and ultimately makes me feel more a success than a failure.  I've sustained a 10%-20% weight loss for the last five years, and though I still have a long way to go, with ongoing diligence on many fronts and course correction as needed, the work of these physicians gives me contentment with what I have accomplished even as I work for more.

Thanks, guys.

2 comments:

I'd love to know what you think of these or if you have suggestions for improvements!