Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Routine Oatmeal


Sounds boring, doesn't it?

But I really enjoy my morning oatmeal--it satisfies and sticks with me to a late lunch.  Here's what I've been doing lately--give it a try!

Basic Plan
1/3 cup old-fashioned oats
1 fruit, diced
2/3 cup water, give or take, depending on the moisture in the fruit
1/2 oz nuts, chopped and lightly toasted (I use my toaster oven and the chopper I keep right beside it)
spices to complement the fruit
(sweetening if needed -- I keep it to about 1/2 teaspoon of sugar with sour fruits, but dates or other sweeteners will do the job if you prefer those. Taste it first, then try the least sweetening possible.)

Combine the oats and fruit and water in a large bowl and microwave for one minute. Stir, add spices, and microwave for one additional minute. Top with toasted nuts and enjoy!

Variations
Apple with walnuts, cinnamon, and nutmeg
Apple with almonds, ginger, and cardamom
Pear with almonds and cardamom
Peach** with pecans and allspice
Banana (added for only the second minute) with walnuts and cinnamon
Sour cherry** with pecans (definitely needs some sweetening, perhaps with apple)
Blueberry (added AFTER the oatmeal is cooked) with almonds and nutmeg

Do you have an oatmeal favorite combo?  

** I use peaches and cherries from our trees that I dehydrated with my Excalibur last summer--no additives!

2 comments:

  1. I love a half cup of steel rolled oats with 1 cup of water 1 tablespoon of cinnamon and a 1/2 cup of fresh blueberries or blackberries

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my oatmeal with light soy milk instead of water, a hint of brown sugar (or brown rice syrup or honey...whatever sounds the best), some frozen blueberries and as is. No heating up or anything. Just cold. It's crazy good. Particularly in the summer when hot oatmeal doesn't sound all that appealing. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think of these or if you have suggestions for improvements!