Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Splendid Oatmeal

I made this one up this morning, as I rummaged about for a couple of elderly apples I wanted to use up (didn't find them, so we got nicer ones) and thought of dried apricots to enhance the flavor . . .

APPLE-APRICOT-GINGER OATMEAL
Serves 6 with leftovers

6 cups water (I actually used two cups of milk in mine)
3 apples, diced
6 dried apricots, snipped up small (I thought I had more in the package than that!)
3 slices crystallized ginger (each slice about the size of a quarter)
3 cups regular oats
dash of salt (to taste)

Start water boiling and cut up apples, then apricots, then ginger into it. When it comes to a boil, add oats and turn down to low, cooking to desired consistency.

Verdict: Excellent. I think everyone in the family liked this, though with added sugar at the end. I think it could easily be made with grated fresh ginger as well, and more apricots (if you have more than I did!).

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think of these or if you have suggestions for improvements!