Tuesday, January 5, 2010

It's Good To Be Back

I've really enjoyed my healthy eating today, and I'm experimenting with supper a bit. I went to the Mom&Pop grocery in Grove City (Bi-Lo) and got the best produce they had (which isn't saying a whole lot)--navel oranges, kiwis, the two best green peppers, the half of the zucchini and of the yellow squash that weren't limp, some broccoli crowns, red onions, and three little turnips. The latter were what got supper going for me . . .

CREAMY POTATO-TURNIP SOUP
Inspiration here

One onion, diced
Four potatoes, cubed
Three small turnips, cubed
8 oz. (about 2/3 of a bag, or 2-3 cups) broccoli slaw
2-3 cups stock (I used chicken)
Teaspoon nutmeg
Salt to taste
Water for desired texture

Combine vegetables and stock in a pot and simmer about an hour, until the vegetables are soft. Cool a bit and then puree the soup in a blender and return to the pot to reheat. Season and add water to taste.

Verdict: Before the puree, not so good. I am not looking forward to this for supper. After the puree, Very Good! :-) The soup is creamy with a fatty feel, but there isn't more than a teaspoon or two of fat (from the chicken stock) in the whole pot.

ROASTED ZUCCHINI AND ONIONS

3 or 4 zucchini, cut into finger-sized slices
2 small onions, quartered
drizzle of olive oil (I had about a tablespoon at most)
Italian seasoning blend (basil, oregano, etc.)
Montreal steak seasoning
Parmesan cheese to dust

Put the cut vegetables on a roasting pan and drizzle with olive oil, then sprinkle with the seasonings and toss all around. Roast in 375-400-degree oven for fifteen minutes or so, turning with a spatula partway through. The idea is to get some of the edges browned and a little crispy, if possible, with the rest at least cooked through, but not mushy. To serve, put some on a plate and dust with parmesan.

Verdict: Excellent (and I'm just smelling it!). Still Excellent after eating it. I'd prefer a crisper kind of thing, but wilty is good, too.

TODAY'S MENU

Breakfast--Oatmeal with apples, raisins, cinnamon, and pecans

Lunch--Lentils, brown rice, and quinoa (leftover frozen KUSHERIE from last month) topped with pasta sauce (I even picked out the meatballs I'd originally heated into the sauce and fed them to the dog. :-) ) ; salad of spring greens, celery, slivers of bell pepper (all colors), and radish slices, with a dressing of watered-down FUSION HUMMUS--ITALIAN. (Today this hummus as a salad dressing was reminiscent of egg salad.)

Snack--Large pink and gold apple

Supper--CREAMY TURNIP-POTATO SOUP, ROASTED ZUCCHINI AND ONIONS, navel orange

Party--Yes, another party. :-) I had the smallest slice of chocolate cake available (I cut it myself) and a small serving of ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think of these or if you have suggestions for improvements!