Monday, January 4, 2010

Fusion Hummus

I have a party to go to this evening, and I have a refrigerated container full of what's left after you take two or three cups of garbanzo beans out of an institutional-sized can of the things. So I'm doing hummus. I have been looking at the things on my shelves and getting some inspiration recently for an Italian take on hummus, so here it is:

FUSION HUMMUS -- ITALIAN

3 large cloves garlic
3 cups canned garbanzo beans, rinsed
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup lightly toasted pine nuts
9 garlic-stuffed green olives
white wine as needed to blend (I used 1/3 - 1/2 cup)
one whole jarred roasted red pepper (no oil), snipped into small pieces

Whirl garlic, garbanzo beans, olive oil, pine nuts, and olives in blender, adding white wine as needed for proper consistency. Remove to bowl and stir in snipped pepper pieces. Option that might be pretty--reserve olives or some olives to snip into the blended mixture at the end.

Verdict--Excellent. This is more "fancy" or indulgent (read: contains more fat) than I'd want to use for everyday, but I have leftover garbanzo beans still and can puree them with this hummus for my own use in the days to come. Does hummus freeze well?

FUSION HUMMUS--MIDDLE EASTERN

3 large cloves garlic
1/2 cup tahini (mine was heavy on solids, light on oil, at the end of the jar)
3 cups canned garbanzo beans, rinsed
half a lemon, flesh and all, with the zest from the rind
tablespoon Garam Masala (mine is homemade and on the dark side, but not strong because it's been on the shelf for a few months)
1/2 teaspoon cumin
water (I used about 1/2 cup) and olive oil (I used a tablespoon, I think) to blend
dried parsley
salt to taste

Whirl garlic, tahini, garbanzo beans, lemon, and spices, with water and oil to proper consistency. Then turn out to a bowl and stir in parsley and salt as needed.

Verdict--Excellent. Hummus is just plain good, and I love the variations on it. I wanted a "warmer," sweeter version for this one. I think a fresher garam masala or some good coriander (mine was too shelf-old) would be good for it, maybe even a touch of cinnamon or cloves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think of these or if you have suggestions for improvements!