Monday, November 2, 2009

Progress Report, Kale Revisited, Dressing Up Canned Soup

Okay. This morning I gave the kale smoothie idea another try--I was craving citrusy flavors. It's still "rough" with kale to chew as I drink it, but I actually enjoyed it, especially as I got into it a bit. Betsy tasted it and said it seemed bitter to her, but I like the bitterness of grapefruit, and I thought they went well together. Here's what I did:

CITRUSY KALE SMOOTHIE

1/2 small pink grapefruit
1 tangerine
1 frozen banana
several leaves curly kale, stems removed
tablespoon or so flax seed meal

Combine all in a blender with ice and water and blend. I found that even a longer time of blending did not appreciably reduce the particle sizes for the kale. Maybe when I break out that new blender (about $70 at a local Target store--this link specifies 600 watts but my box says 1000) . . .

Verdict: Excellent. I wasn't so sure with the first couple of sips, but I really enjoyed the rest of it, and I'm even getting used to chewing with a smoothie. :-) This made one very tall glass, but I usually divide and save my smoothies into two servings--this was just one.

DRESSED-UP PROGRESSO CREAMY TOMATO-BASIL SOUP

2 small or one large zucchini, chopped
small onion, chopped
tablespoon or two pesto (my homemade is low in oil)
can of Progresso Creamy Tomato-Basil Soup (130 calories, 7g fiber, 3g protein per serving)

Saute the zucchini and onion in the pesto until slightly softened, then add the soup and heat, cooking to further tenderness if desired.

Verdict: Excellent. I have a reputation for messing with packaged goods (like adding lots more noodles and vegetables to Hamburger Helper or frozen chicken alfredo), so this was a natural for me. I had half of this for my lunch.

TODAY'S MENU

Breakfast--CITRUSY KALE SMOOTHIE

Snack--less than an ounce of roasted edamame

Lunch--DRESSED-UP PROGRESSO CREAMY TOMATO-BASIL SOUP, apple

Snack--two tablespoons of granola with raisins as I set out on a 40-minute walk

Supper--Salad of romaine and red leaf lettuce topped with diced cucumber, chopped bell pepper and tomatoes and red onion, 2 tablespoons raw sunflower seeds, about five or six snipped dried apricots, 1/2 cup light red kidney beans, and 2 tablespoons of cucumber dressing (60 calories, 50 from fat); orange

PROGRESS REPORT

Down two pounds this week, for a total of eight-plus pounds in three weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think of these or if you have suggestions for improvements!