Sunday, October 25, 2009

Sunday Pasta

GREEN PEAR SMOOTHIE

1 large ripe pear, cut up
1/3 cup canned pineapple chunks with a bit of their juice
1 frozen banana
handful of fresh spinach
1-2 tablespoons flax seed meal
ice and water to preference

Whirl it all up in the blender and enjoy! I had about half for my breakfast.

Verdict--Very Good. It was almost too sweet--I could have stood more spinach, perhaps

PESTO PASTA

2 cups cooked whole-wheat penne
scant 1 tablespoon pesto (homemade, skimpy on oil)
1/2 cup marinated mushrooms (herbs, garlic, no oil)
drizzle of red wine

Toss hot pasta with pesto, add sliced mushrooms and wine, and heat. Half of this was my serving for Sunday Dinner.

Verdict--Good. It was satisfying, but I found myself feeling I'd have preferred less penne and more of something else veggie--zucchini, perhaps. I had more a sense of hunger later in the day, perhaps because of the "refined" carbs.

TODAY'S MENU

Breakfast--GREEN PEAR SMOOTHIE

Sunday Dinner--Carrots with MOOSEWOOD HUMMUS for a dip; PESTO PASTA; broccoli with lemon

Snack--Local Paula Red apple; 1/4 cup mixture roasted edamame, peanuts, dried apricot, raisins

Supper--At a reception a few grapes and a bit of pineapple with some cashews; at home leftover CAULIFLOWER CURRY and green beans

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think of these or if you have suggestions for improvements!